Last week was full of strange coincidences... random yet interconnected events as though the universe is trying tell us something...
A few days before the **Neil Diamond** concert, there was a story on NPR about the stadium-wide sing-along tradition at Fenway Park. At all the Red Sox games for the past I-don't-know-how-many years, the fans join together for a chorus of Neil's own "Sweet Caroline." It goes something like this:
NEIL: Sweet Caroline...
CROWD: Ba ba ba!
NEIL: Good times never seemed so good...
CROWD: So good! So good! So good! So good!
Hmm, isn't it odd that everybody knows to do this? I don't even think the "so good" part even appears in the song...
Anyway, I went to the Neil Diamond concert a few days later, and sure enough, the crowd came in right on cue...!
Later, I found myself at a restaurant in Hawaii, with a singer-guitarist performing miscellaneous rock covers during our meal. By request, he sang, you guessed it, "Sweet Caroline," complete with breaks in the song for us to chime in. So there I was, singing my "ba ba ba's" and my "so goods" next to a table of Texans doing the same.
Apparently, Neil has written a hook that has penetrated the American collective consciousness... from Boston to Los Angeles to Waikoloa to San Antonio! Thank you Neil! Thank you!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home