Remembering Andy.
John and I find it amusing that at the seedy bird shop where we procured our budgies, I chose Zoid (a mature, skeptical bird who loves to exercise his wings), and he chose Andy (a young and trusting bird with a big appetite).
Andy was always a little mischief-maker. The day we got him, he escaped from our makeshift carrier and flew around the pet store, causing a riot among the other caged birds! Even on this last day of his life, he shook the food dish while Zoid was trying to eat from it -- one of his favorite hobbies.
Andy was a clever bird who learned fast with clicker training. He knew how to step up and touch a target stick; we were working on him ringing a bell before he got sick.
Andy was a musical little fellow who enjoyed listening to my singing. The first time he mustered up the courage to eat from my hand, I was singing "Summertime." He would often come to the front of the cage when I sang to him. He also loved to "ring" the cage bars with his beak; sometimes John would play along with a guitar pick.
Sadly, Andy passed away last night from a chronic infection that would not clear despite our best efforts. He will be buried in a grotto behind St. Thomas. He was 2 years old.


1 Comments:
/hug! :(
Post a Comment
<< Home